Check out our tutorial and learn how you can make your own hanging Christmas ball ornaments from spun cotton balls.
DIY Christmas Ball Ornaments – project materials:
- ø 45 mm Spun cotton balls (or larger). Spun cotton balls are lightweight and shatterproof.
- Acrylic Paint and brushes.
- Decorative string or ribbon.
- Glue gun and white tacky glue
- Optional and to your liking: glitter, gem, sequin, trims, Dresden …
Step by step directions
Start with the paint
Paint the spun cotton balls with one solid color. They will be dry to the touch in less than 20 minutes.
Continue with some glitter
Glue some glitter on. The best way to glue glitter is to brush a little bit of white tacky glue on your ornament, sprinkle the glitter on, and tap the ornament to loosen off the excess glitter. The tacky glue will dry to a clear finish and the glitter will be solidly attached.
Add more decorations
With tacky glue, you can glue on ribbons, trimming, Dresden, Sequins, decorative gems, and more. You can also use a glue gun to work faster but the finish won’t be as nice because the glue gun will leave glue marks.
Add a hanging loop to your ornaments.
There are several technique that you could use here.
- Make a hanging loop out of decorative string or ribbon, and wrap the string all around the ornament.
- Make a hanging loop out of small gauge metal wire (picture on the left) or buy one already made (picture on the right). Pour a little glue in the spun cotton ball hole and insert the metal hanging loop.
You are done :) I hope that you enjoyed this tutorial and as usual, if you have any questions, do not hesitate to leave a comment. Happy Crafting!