In this tutorial, learn how to make spooky little ghost ornaments that you can hang anywhere around the house for Halloween.
Ghost ornaments – Materials
- Your choice of spun cotton balls or spun cotton eggs. I used 45 mm spun cotton balls for the pillowcases and crepe streamer ghosts and a 60mm tall spun cotton egg for the cheese cloth ghost ornament.
- Depending on which ghost(s) you want to make, your choice of white fabric (old T-shirt, old pillow case), cheesecloth, or crepe streamer.
- Black marker and pencil.
- Mod podge or similar.
- A few feet of fishing line.
- A glue gun or some regular white craft glue.
- A good pair of scissors.
- A rubber band (for the cheesecloth ghost).
Step by step directions
The first 2 steps are the identical for the three projects.
- Insert one end of the fishing line in the spun cotton shape holes and pour hot glue. You could also use regular white craft glue but it would take much longer to dry.
- Draw a spooky ghost face onto the shapes with the black marker.
Halloween Pillowcase Ghost Ornament
- Make a tiny hole in the corner of an old pillowcase and thread the fishing line through until the pillowcase covers the ball.
- Cut the pillowcase to the desired length.
- Make two holes in the fabric for the eyes. To do so, mark the location of the eyes on the pillowcase with a pencil, remove the pillowcase completely and cut two little holes with a pair of scissors.
- Before putting the pillowcase back on the ball, brush a little mod podge over the ball, put the pillowcase back on and make sure the eyes are aligned with the holes. Let dry.
- Style the bottom of the the pillowcase by cutting off long triangle pieces.
Cheese Cloth Ghost Ornament
- Cut the cheesecloth into two 2 ft x 1 ft rectangles. Cover the ball with the cheesecloth pieces and wrap a rubber band around the ball to keep the cheesecloth in place. The fishing line goes through the middle of each piece of cheesecloth. Brush mod podge over the cheesecloth pieces. When dry, remove the rubber band.
- Style the bottom of the cheesecloth by cutting off long triangle pieces.
- If the eyes don’t show through the cheesecloth (because they are covered with mod podge), you can re-draw them with the black marker over the cheesecloth
Crepe Streamer Ghost Ornament
- Cut 6 stripes of crepe paper, about 2 feet long. Make a tiny hole in the center of each of them for the fishing line to go through.
- Brush a little mod podge on the top half of the ghost’s head. Slide a stripe of crepe streamer down the line until it sits on the ghost head. Brush a little mod podge over the piece of crepe streamer. Repeat with the 5 other pieces. Make sure each piece sits at a different angle.
- Re-draw the mouth and eyes with the black marker over the crepe streamer pieces.
- Style the bottom of the crepe streamers by cutting off long triangle pieces.
You are done :) I hope you enjoyed this tutorial and as always if you would like to share your ideas or ask questions, do not hesitate to use the comment section below. Happy crafting and Happy Halloween!
A few more Halloween Craft Ideas.
For these projects, we used blank spun cotton peg doll shapes.